Samford University

Email this page  View PDF of complete handbook

Other Services, Requirements and Costs

Activity Fees

Tennis, swimming, racquetball and many other recreational activities are available without charge. The field house has an indoor jogging track. Outdoor activities, such as white-water rafting, rappelling, etc., are sponsored by the Student Government Association. Fees are charged to cover the actual cost of these activities.

Medical Insurance for Students

Samford students are required to carry health insurance while enrolled at Samford. 

Students in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy are required to provide proof of current personal health insurance coverage.  Each semester, students in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy are automatically enrolled in the University sponsored student health insurance plan.  There is a charge for this coverage.  To have the charge removed from his/her Samford account, a pharmacy/nursing student must provide proof of insurance by completing the insurance waiver at

International Students

Based upon federal regulations and University policy, all F and J visa holders are required to carry insurance that meets certain coverage requirements.  Information about specific policy carriers, minimum coverage, and premium costs is available from the International Studies Office at (205) 726-4334.

Membership Fees

Some student organizations have an annual membership fee.  In addition, Greek organizations have monthly dues along with an initiation fee. These fees are charged directly by such organizations and will not be posted on student accounts.

Personal Property Insurance

Students have a large investment in personal property, such as textbooks, computers, tablets, televisions, DVDs, DVD players, radios, cell phones, cameras, calculators, refrigerators, and clothing.  Each year, college students lose millions of dollars’ worth of personal property through theft, vandalism, water or fire.  Samford University is not liable for a student’s personal property should a loss occur on campus.

All students, especially those who live in residence halls, should insure their personal property either through their parent’s homeowners insurance or through a private insurance policy.  The University has established an insurance program through National Student Services, Inc.  This insurer provides personal property insurance for students at over 1,000 colleges and universities. For more information on student personal property insurance see or pick up a brochure at the Residence Life Office, University Center 106.

Financial Aid Information

Students seeking financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at Our priority date is March 1 for the upcoming academic year.

Students who filed the FAFSA on or before that date will comprise the first group for which we package and award financial aid for the upcoming academic year.  FAFSAs filed after March 1 will be processed in the order they are received.  Students may obtain information regarding financial aid online at or by telephone at (205) 726-2905 or toll free at 1-800-888-7245.  Students are encouraged to use these resources for questions regarding financial aid at Samford University.