May 7, 2012
Stephen Black, the founder of Impact Alabama, wrote to me this weekend with gratitude for the Samford students who participated this year in the SaveFirst tax preparation initiative, designed to provide support for Alabama citizens in filing their income tax forms: “Five trained students from Samford provided critical services at four free tax preparation sites that prepared returns for approximately 1,357 families—helping them to secure morethan $2.2 million in tax refunds and saving them $407,000 in commercial tax preparation fees. We will work over the next months to continue to increase outreach and encourage more families to take advantage of these services next year.”
The world is better becauseSamford students care about their neighbors.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.