July 30, 2012
Because Samford’s core purpose is to offer an outstanding academic program to our students, we sometimes forget about the benefit of the physical campus as a convening place for concerts and other special events for students, employees, and our surrounding community. Sean Wright is the Director of Venue Management, with special responsibilities for the Pete Hanna Center and the Leslie S. Wright Fine Arts Center. I noticed in Sean’s 2011-12 report that these two facilities hosted a total of 156,195 guests during the past academic year. We appreciate the extraordinary efforts of our staff members across the campus in making these facilities available to the public.
The world is better because of the service provided by our staff.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.