January 2, 2012
While most Samford employees have been away for the past week, enjoying time with family and friends, the members of our public safety staff have remained on campus, making regular rounds, securing our facilities, responding to routine requests . . . and recruiting prospective students. I received this text message during the break from Beck Taylor, former dean of our Brock School of Business and current president of Whitworth University: "Just drove through your beautiful campus. I have a Monday Mission for you. Officer Powell greeted us at the west entrance and when we identified ourselves as visitors he promptly fetched admissions material, saying, 'You look like you might have high school aged children. We would love for them to consider Samford.' I was blown away!"
The world is better because of Sam Powell and those who serve each day in public safety.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.