December 19, 2011
Justin Moody is a student at Samford, but he was deployed through the Army National Guard to Afghanistan earlier this semester. In an exchange last week with Dr. Alan Jung, Chair of our Department of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Justin first apologized for not staying in regular contact as "things have been a little crazy around these parts." He also offered gratitude that "people are thinking and praying for us over here."
The most striking portion of Justin's message came in his concluding sentences: "I hope that finals are going well. Please let everyone know (even those that may not know me) that I am praying for them. My guys are praying as well. I know that finals can be stressful, but I also know what kind of students that Samford has." A world away, in a chaotic environment, Justin and "his guys" stopped to pray for US!
The world is better because of Justin Moody and those who serve with him.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.