October 17, 2011
This year the McWhorter School of Pharmacy is relying the support of a 14-year-old student from Holy Family High School as a student assistant. P. J. Hughes, Assistant Professor at McWhorter, relates a story about what happened after he introduced this "kind, polite, professional, responsible" young lady to the students in his class a few weeks ago, explaining the special curriculum she is taking at Holy Family and her role this year at McWhorter:
"All 128 students gave her a standing ovation. I can tell you that this was a life-altering experience for this young lady who, like all of us, yearns to be a part of something special . . . like we have here at Samford and McWhorter School of Pharmacy."
This story has another chapter. Last week I received a letter (yes, a letter in an era of e-mail and texting) from the young lady, in which she said, "I am grateful to walk the halls of a college that has high expectations for everyone."
The world is better because Samford is a place where high expectations lead to standing ovations.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.