September 19, 2011
One recent morning, Brad Creed, our Provost and Executive Vice President, called my attention to the fact that three of our people were featured in a 24-hour period in the Birmingham media:
“Franz Lohrke’s photograph is in the business section of The Birmingham News with the recognition that he was chosen as the 2011 Best Case Reviewer for Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice during the national Academy of Management conference. Dean John Carroll was featured on the local Fox News channel with analysis concerning the controversial Alabama immigration law, and Fox News also interviewed Assistant Provost Nancy Biggio about the volatile situation in Libya. Both John and Nancy did outstanding jobs in addressing the issues and communicating effectively. My thanks to these three people for the great job they do in representing Samford.”
The world is better because of Samford's engaged members of the faculty and staff.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.