July 11, 2011
Jason Wallace of Samford's Department of History worked in recent months with colleagues Chris Metress, Ashley Floyd, Shannon Flynt, Bryan Johnson (and a strong supporting cast) to plan and host a program called the "Great Ideas Summer Institute." Twenty-one high school students participated last month in the week-long event, with the theme of "Greece, Rome, and the American Republic." According to Dr. Wallace, "student reviews indicate they found it to be a fun yet intellectual experience." (After all, the two qualities don't have to be mutually exclusive.) The students read selections from Greek and Roman thinkers at the beginning of the week and ended with Jefferson, Calhoun, and Lincoln.
The world is better because Samford faculty members invest their time in meaningful and thought-provoking activities.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.