May 2, 2011
As the storms rushed across Alabama last Wednesday, Allison Studdard, a student in the Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing, worked throughout the day with her preceptor in the Emergency Department of Princeton Baptist Medical Center in Birmingham. She saw firsthand the trauma of those who arrived at the hospital, and she was also touched by the physical and emotional strain on the medical staff. Allison wasn't scheduled to go back to the hospital on Thursday, but she sought our Mrs. Barbara Money, her faculty member for her preceptorship, to ask if she might return to Princeton the next day, if only to answer the telephone for the charge nurse.
The world is better because Samford people give, and give, and give.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.