April 4, 2011
Bruce Foster is the director of external relations and admissions for the McWhorter School of Pharmacy. Because McWhorter draws students from throughout the United States (and the world), Bruce often greets prospective students who know nothing of Birmingham. When Bruce realized that one recent guest from Minnesota wanted to gain an appreciation for our community, but was going to take his tour via taxi, he loaded the young man's bags in his own vehicle, acquainted him with the great sites of Birmingham (with sparkling commentary, no doubt), and deposited him safely at the airport for his flight home.
The world is better because of Bruce Foster.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.