January 31, 2011
From a Birmingham-area resident (sorry, but I have not sought permission to use her name), reporting on a recent encounter with McWhorter School of Pharmacy students and faculty at Shelby Baptist Medical Center:
"When they were getting my husband ready for surgery in ICU, he flat lined and they called a code blue. The emergency team that responds to this code includes a pharmacist. That morning the pharmacist had two Samford University interns with him who followed him when he responded to the call. Those two young men did CPR on my husband and saved his life."
Dr. Charlie Sands, McWhorter dean, has identified the members of the life-saving Samford team as Dr. Bob Henderson, two P4 students (Joe Glovacz and Matt Jackson) and a P2 student (Katie Carrier).
The world is better because the McWhorter School of Phamacy prepares pharmacists who transform lives.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.