December 13, 2010
Dr. Ken Mathews is a faculty member in our Beeson School of Divinity. His wife, Dea, serves as an analyst in institutional effectiveness. Together, they are among the nicest people at Samford--or on the planet, for that matter. Ken had heart surgery a few days ago. (The great news is that he is home now, resting and recovering.) The day after his surgery, as his nurse visited the room, Ken motioned for the nurse to pass him pen and paper. Of course, the nurse assumed that Ken would write something along the lines of "I'm in pain," or "I need this or that." Instead, imagine the nurse's surprise when he read Ken's message: "You are doing a really good job. Thank you."
The world is better because Ken and Dea Mathews live out their faith, even in moments of adversity.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.