November 1, 2010
Andrew Jenkins is a 1997 graduate of Samford. Today he serves as the Executive Director of The Village, a Birmingham-based program founded two years ago to offer residential services to "men and women who have been beaten down by bad choices, bad circumstances, and/or bad relationships." In this short period of time, Andy and his colleagues have helped more than 400 people regain their lives. Now they are attempting to raise funds to renovate an apartment complex near Carraway Hospital in north Birmingham. They've applied for a $250,000 grant from Pepsi--and we can vote via the Internet to indicate our support. To watch a short video about the project (and to receive information about how to register your vote) go to www.TheVillagePepsiGrant.com.
The world is better because Samford graduates roll up their sleeves and get to work.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.