January 12, 2009
Governor Albert Brewer was born in Tennessee—but Alabamians claims him as a native son. Governor Brewer earned his degrees from the University of Alabama—but those of us at Samford claim him as one of our own. He has served on the faculty of our Cumberland School of Law since 1987. On January 1, The Anniston Star named him as 2008 Alabamian of the Year. In the newspaper article announcing the selection, Dean John Carroll said, “Albert Brewer combines the best qualities of my two favorite lawyers, Thomas More, the patron saint of lawyers, and Atticus Finch. He is a man of great wit, keen intellect and lionhearted courage. He is also a man of deep faith who carries his faith not on his sleeve but in his heart. I simply have never met a finer person.”
The world is better because of Albert Brewer.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.