August 16, 2010
Jim Reburn, Acting Dean of the Brock School of Business, shared this story with me about an employee of RiteWay, the company that provides cleaning services for our facilities:
I remember you once saying that everyone should be on the Samford “welcoming committee." One of our RiteWay staff members did just that and made a very good impression upon a prospective student-athlete and his parents. Odessa Wright met the family wandering around in our building late Friday afternoon. As you might imagine, at 5:30 on a Friday afternoon you can generally shoot a cannon and not hurt anyone. According to the student's mother, Odessa did a good job selling Samford and making them feel welcome on our campus. Odessa told the family that Samford is a great place to work. She went out of her way to bring them up to the third floor to see if anyone was around to talk about our business program. To say the least, Odessa did more than what her job description calls for. Our nice visit and discussion of the merits of studying business at Samford may never have occurred if it were not for Odessa's efforts.
The world is better because of Odessa Wright.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.