September 8, 2008
Each year the members of the faculty of the Cumberland School of Law welcome the entering students with a discussion of professional values. “Starting today,” we say to our students, “you should begin to think about these core values and to display them in your actions as a law student, a lawyer, and a person.” The core values include integrity, service, competence and expertise, balance, and professionalism.
One morning last April, our Cumberland students were called to exercise these core values in ways they had not anticipated. One of their classmates, a first-year student named Matthew McLain, died in a tragic accident. In the days and weeks following the loss, these young men and women surrounded the McLain family with love and support. They were—and are—models of compassion.
The world is better because of the students, faculty, and staff of the Cumberland School of Law.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.