June 29, 2009
During my tenure at Samford, I’ve been blessed to work with two outstanding leaders of the Faculty Senate, Don Sandley and Robin Snyder. Along with their colleagues, they seek to discover the ways in which we can work together—faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumni, and other friends—to create the best learning environment for our students. Vigilant in protecting academic freedom and in safeguarding the interests of employees, the members of our Faculty Senate care about the entirety of Samford and about the fulfillment of our mission. In the world of the academy, where disruptive tensions sometimes create misery between faculty and administration, it is a joy to work at a place where common bonds hold us together.
The world is better because of the leadership of the Samford faculty.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.