November 16, 2009
I received this message last week, with the headline, "Great Day, Even for a Visitor" . . .
"Saturday, November 7, 2009 was my first visit to Samford University. I was hoping that my Georgia Southern Eagles would beat your Bulldogs but it was obvious to me that the better team won. Despite my disappointment, I wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I enjoyed my time on your beautiful campus. I have been to almost every Southern Conference campus and I can tell you that none have been as impressive as Samford’s. Not only do you have a beautiful campus, the thing that I will remember the most is how friendly everyone associated with Samford was to my son and me. I could sense in my spirit that this was indeed a Christian campus. Not Christian in name only but more importantly Christian as expressed through your people. I commend you and all of the fine Samford folks and thank you for a wonderful experience, even for a visitor of an opposing and defeated foe."
The world is better because of the generous spirit of our people.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.