December 21, 2009
Last week, Samford University announced a new partnership with the Alabama Association of Nonprofits (formerly the Nonprofit Resource Center of Alabama). The state’s only state-wide membership organization for nonprofits is now housed at the Brock School of Business, and its important work to support the work of nonprofits across the state is now integrated into the Brock School’s program in social entrepreneurship, under the direction of Dr. Jeremy Thornton. Other academic programs at Samford will soon have the opportunity to work with the Association as well. Our faculty and students will have direct access to this important and growing sector of our economy, and most importantly, our people will use their time and talents to serve the people of Alabama in new and exciting ways.
The world is better because of Samford’s support of Alabama’s nonprofit organizations.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.