May 3, 2010
Our friend, Timothy Banks, wrote to me a few days ago:
Illene Hampton does so much more than serve my daily coffee! Though she and others at O'Henry's in the food court know me at sight, and have that medium cup of dark roast coffee (black) ready at the counter before I actually get there in the line, that's just my personal joy--the one place in the world that I can answer "yes" when they ask "Your regular?" Illene is really on a mission, I think; her smile and caring Christ-like manner came across recently as we hosted hundreds of All-State Choir Festival singers, teachers, parents, relatives, friends, bus drivers ... wow, what a list! And d'you know what she said to me after the festival? "Those folks were so nice; it was great to have them here." Another wow ... I can't express how grateful I am for the loving, truly Christian example of service and hospitality shown by Illene and the scores of other staffers that helped us share our home ... our Samford ... with these important guests. Allow me to paraphrase: "If you are to receive a smile, you must be willing to give it away." I think that's part of Illene's mission.
The world is better because Illene Hampton and her colleagues share hope with others.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.