May 10, 2010
Marlene Rikard wrote to me a few days ago with this story:
I was at the annual meeting of the Alabama Historical Association this spring and a colleague from another university told me her 10th grader had Samford on his list of prospective colleges. They had visited the campus but it was during spring break when the campus was almost deserted. Seeking a campus map, they went to the campus security office and were greeted by an officer who expressed his regret that they were here when nothing was open. He sang the praises of the university and invited them to come back when they could visit the cafeteria and find out how good the food is! My friend was very impressed by the friendliness of a security officer.
The world is better because we treat our guests with respect.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.