December 22, 2008
At the conclusion of her Foundations courses, Dana Basinger sends a letter to the parents of her students, accompanied by a class photograph and student essay. In the letter to parents, Dana says, "Rest assured that we take seriously our charge to nurture persons, and that we count it a privilege to help shape your children into the mature adults that you have always hoped for."
The world is better because of Dana Basinger and the dedicated employees of Samford University.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.