November 24, 2008
For 23 years, Tom and Marla Corts helped to guide Samford to higher levels of scholarship and service. For the past 15 months, our not-so-retiring friends have resided in Washington, D.C., where Tom serves as the Coordinator of Basic Education in the Office of the Director of Foreign Assistance in the U.S. Department of State, and Coordinator of the President’s Initiative to Expand Education. Helping people in other countries to develop their educational resources, Tom and Marla have worked in India, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, Mali, and Honduras. The impact of their efforts will be felt for decades to come.
The world is better because of Tom and Marla Corts.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.