September 28, 2009
Last week I dropped by an open house at Lucille Hall in Beeson Woods, hosted by our International Living/Learning Community, a collaborative effort among our students, the residence life staff, and the Department of World Languages and Cultures. (Special thanks to Lauren Taylor, Kacey Cole, Carolyn Crocker, Esther Gonzalez, and Lynda Jentsch.) The residents opened their rooms and their lives to us, prepared and served delicious foods from 12 countries, played music from around the world, adorned the building with flags, displayed photographs from their own travels, and even dressed in clothing and jewelry from other nations. In the heart of Alabama, we have global connections.
The world is better because Samford's core values include "appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions."
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.