September 1, 2014
While the digits on the scoreboard weren’t arranged in the order we would have preferred at the end of play, the TCU fans were gracious and the game was a good opportunity for our student-athletes. A poignant moment came at halftime, when TCU honored Pat and Jean Sullivan and the Sullivan family for Pat’s enduring legacy as the head coach at TCU during a period of remarkable success. His celebrity status in Alabama (and beyond) is such that Pat could have any number of positions, but he chose Samford. Congratulations on the honor at TCU this weekend, Coach Sullivan, and thanks for your commitment to high standards on the field, in the classroom and in every area of life.
The world is better because of Pat and Jean Sullivan.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.