August 4, 2014
Ryan yearned for a position within higher education, so he pursued a doctorate in history at the University of Alabama. Since 2010, Dr. Floyd has been a faculty member at Lander University in South Carolina. Two years ago, he received Lander’s Young Faculty Teaching Award. This year he was named the recipient of the institution’s Young Faculty Scholar Award. The primary focus of his scholarship is American foreign policy during the late 1800s and early 1900s, and Palgrave Macmillan has recently published his book on Woodrow Wilson and the beginning of the First World War.
Ryan happens to be the son of our own Hugh Floyd of our Department of Sociology, who has no idea that I’m sending this message but will be justifiably proud when he opens his inbox today.
The world is better because Samford prizes and nurtures great teachers and scholars.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.