May 20, 2013
Of the hundreds of poignant moments from Commencement Weekend, the video clip below from Alan Register’s speech to Brock School of Business graduates is near the top of my list. Alan is a very successful business executive, currently serving as city president for BBVA Compass. He graduated from Samford in 1986. He offered an outstanding speech to the graduates, with meaningful content and flawless delivery. Near the end, he began to speak of his father, who earned the money to support the Register family by supervising the delivery of Coca-Cola products to stores in their Florida community. In this clip, you’ll encounter many of the elements that make this place special: an abiding faith in God, through the life and witness of a person who practices the highest standards of ethical behavior in his profession; the gratitude of a son for parents who enabled him to reach beyond his circumstances; the impact of faculty members who caused a diamond to reach a high level of brilliance; the sacrifice of a family, offered with joy, not grudgingly; and an enduring love for an institution that nurtured the best qualities in a graduate.
The world is better because of Alan Register—and his parents.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.