March 18, 2013
From Dr. Betsy Holloway, Dwight Moody Beeson Chair of Business:
"Stephen Bailey, a May 2011 graduate from the Howard College of Arts and Sciences (B.S.in Chemistry and a B.A. in Philosophy), has been admitted (full scholarship along with an annual fellowship throughout his time in the program) to the Vanderbilt University Neuroscience program where he will begin graduate work in the fall. His studies will focus on the biological basis of reading comprehension using neuroimaging techniques."
Dr.Holloway quotes Stephen's commentary about the prospects for his work: "It could allow teachers to better ‘diagnose’ the problems a struggling reader may be encountering, and it could give educators scientific support for improving classroom practice. Long-term, I hope to be a leader in using neuroscience to better our educational system.”
The world is better because of Stephen Bailey.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.