December 10, 2012
From Philip Poole, executive director of marketing and communications:
"For the last 10 Christmases,Samford has been a partner with Habitat for Humanity and Birmingham's ABC 33/40 to provide a 'home for the holidays' for a deserving family. Aside from Habitat and ABC 33/40, Samford is the only corporate sponsor who has participated all 10 years. Larry Davenport, Libby Hamby and Morgan Ponder are employees who have participated since the beginning of the program. This past Saturday, about 90 Samford students, employees and alumni spent the day working on houses for the Boyd and Kimbell families in this year's effort, which is a record one-day response for us. We had folks installing windows, doing siding, roofing, installing decks and doing a variety of other projects."
The world is better because Samford values social and civic responsibility.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.