Undergraduate Student Services
The office of Undergraduate Student Services assists prospective students with the decision- making and application process to attend Samford and the Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing. We serve enrolled students with advising, registration, information, and record-keeping regarding progression, graduation, and preparation to take the NCLEX.
- BLS (Basic Life Support) Certification
Students enrolled in clinical courses must be certified by the American Heart Association with Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers/Professionals and must provide a copy of their card showing proof of certification. We do not accept online courses. We do not accept Red Cross courses. Other courses, such as Heartsaver AED/CPR, do not meet our clinical contract requirements. For your convenience, listed below are some recommended resources for certification/ recertification:
- Intern/Extern Opportunities
- Birmingham VA Summer Internship
- Summer III at Mayo Clinic: www.mayoclinic.orgSummer III is a 10-week program at Mayo Clinic offered annually and begins in early June. You are eligible for Summer III if you are enrolled in a 4-year baccalaureate program and have completed 2 semester or 3 quarters of clinical nursing experience prior to the start of the Summer III program. Salary, benefits, and housing. Application deadline: January 15th. More info: email@example.com or call 1-800-562-7984.
- The Elliott P. Joslin Camp for Children with Diabetes
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center offers an extern program for nursing students. This eight week program includes orientation to a specific area or unit of the medical center and provides an opportunity for nursing students to broaden their clinical knowledge by working side by side under the guidance of a Registered Nurse. The program gives more insight to the student's area of interest to pursue after graduation and gives the student additional educational opportunities of a clinical nature. The extern program offers an excellent learning opportunity! For a summer extern application packet or additional information, please contact Tracy Fargo at 1-800-288-6622.
- Critical Care and Trauma Nurse Internship, Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas Texas: 7-month program, salary and full benefits while you learn. For more info: contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-214-590-8454 and speak with Barbara Clark Mims or Laura Luecke. Fax 1-214-590-6947.
- Summer Opportunities at Mayo Clinic for Junior and Senior nursing students
- Summer Nurse Extern Program at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 615-322-2116; Vanderbilt Medical Center
- Summer Internship for Nursing Students, called "Experience Oncology Nursing" at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Rochester, NY Mary Anne Long, 716-845-3111 Roswell Park
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center Summer Extern Program in Peoria, Illinois 309-655-4008 or 2667; OSF Saint Francis Medical Center
- Bassett Healthcare - Summer Student Nurse Program, especially interesting for those interested in health care for rural populations 1-800-526-1271, Rebecca Wipper, Human Resources Dept., Bassett Healthcare, One Atwell Road, Cooperstown, NY 13326-1394 Bassett Healthcare
- Student Nursing Summer Internships - Kansas Health Institute 785-233-5443; email@example.com Kansas Health Institute
- Wake Forest University Medical School Student Nurse Extern Wake Forest University
- Frontier Nursing Service, Wendover, KY - Couriere Program for nursing students Frontier Nursing Service (look at courier program)
- NCLEX Information
- Overview document
I'm Graduating Next Semester - what decisions do I need to make now? -- a PowerPoint presentation to help you
Nursing License Map
- Uniform Ordering Instructions
- Uniforms must be ordered online from Dove Professional Apparel. Our school code is SAM . Cindy Ritter, firstname.lastname@example.org, is available to sew on patches for $5 each, cash only. Soaking the patch in vinegar/water is included. Pants and sleeves can be hemmed for $10.00 per pair.
- Shoe requirements as stated in the handbook:
- Clean, white, low-heeled, enclosed leather nursing shoes are to be worn with the uniform. No sandals, tennis shoes, or platform shoes are permitted. Laces, when appropriate, must be clean and solid white. White hose, free of runs, are to be worn with the uniform. Solid white socks, without decorations, may be worn ONLY with the pants uniform.
- Complete uniform requirements are listed in the School of Nursing Handbook for Undergraduate Students.