MSN Application Process
These steps outline the application process for the MSN program. Applicants to the program are required to submit both an application through the nursing centrailized application process (NursingCAS) as well as a supplemental application form. Before beginning these applications, it is recommended that the applicant complete the following checklist.
- Obtain student copies of your college transcripts to assist you in completing the course work section for the application.
- Carefully read the “Before you apply, Instructions, Code of Cooperation and FAQ’s” sections at http://www.nursingcas.org before you get started.
- As stated on the NursingCAS site, the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS) simplifies the process of applying to Nursing programs. Complete one application and send it along with other information to our centralized service. NursingCAS will verify your application for accuracy, calculate your GPA, and send your materials to the Nursing programs you designate. These sections detail critical components of the centralized application process.
- Request official transcripts from each institution attended by using the transcript request form in NursingCAS.
- Complete the form, submit it to the registrar’s office of each institution attended, and instruct them to enclose the form with your official sealed transcript. Transcripts must be sent to the NursingCAS Transcript Department. Nursing CAS accepts official transcripts directly sent from the registrar’s office ONLY. Please send transcripts as early as possible and no less than 4-6 weeks before the application deadline due to the time needed by NursingCAS to verify your application.
- Pay the initial service fee of $65 when submitting the NursingCAS application.
- Submit evidence of current unencumbered license as a registered nurse through NursingCAS on the Professional Experience/Certifications section.
- Include state of issuance, number and expiration date.
- Obtain 3 letters of recommendation from 1) current or previous professor, 2) supervisor, and 3) professional colleague.
- These letters of recommendation will be submitted through NursingCAS. The references should attest to the applicant’s academic ability and potential.
- Attach a CV/resume to the NursingCAS application.
- Submit official test scores to Samford University Graduate Nursing Program.
Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis for conditional admission. In the event of conditional admission, the applicant must complete the first nine credits of the required graduate nursing curriculum at Samford University with a B or better in each course attempted. Failure to meet the requirement as stated will prevent progression in the School of Nursing graduate program.
Applications must be submitted by the deadlines posted on the MSN site.