Second Degree B.S.N. Overview
The five-semester Second Degree BSN option is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree in a field of study other than nursing. This program only begins each fall semester and students do not attend during the summer session. A part-time option is available for this plan of study. Many of our students enrolled in this program have family responsibilities and find the pace appropriate for helping them balance their career goals and personal responsibilities. Graduates of the program are prepared to use knowledge, critical thinking skills, and practice skills learned from nursing and liberal arts to provide professional nursing care in a variety of clinical settings. Employment rates of graduates exceed the average and many graduates have opted to pursue advanced degrees upon completion of the program.
The Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing’s Second Degree BSN program provides students with:
- The opportunity to begin a new career as a registered nurse within five semesters
- Low student-to-teacher ratio in the classroom and in clinical settings.
- Academically and experientially prepared, nurturing faculty who are available to help students
- Excellent clinical opportunities in all major health-care agencies in the Birmingham metro area
- State of the art human patient simulation center and skills lab
- Pass rates above 95% on the NCLEX-RN exam
- Opportunities for medical mission trips and study abroad