Philip Poole, APR
Executive Director, Office of Marketing and Communication
- Bachelor of Arts, major in journalism, Baylor University
- Master of Arts in Journalism, University of North Texas
- Accredited in Public Relations, Public Relations Society of America
Office: Samford Hall 310
PhilipPoole, APR, has more than 35 years experience in public relations and marketing, including 19 in higher education. He has worked in Samford’s University Advancement division since 2003. Accredited by the Public Relations Society of America since 1987, he is a contributor to professional journals, two editions of the Religion Communicators Council professional handbook, and Check your image: A public relations manual for church growth (1990, Convention Press). He is the recipient of numerous awards from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Baptist Communicators Association (BCA) and the Religion Communicators Council (RCC). In addition to teaching a course in the university’s core curriculum, he is one of the advisers for the Samford chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America.
Philip graduated from Baylor University with a B.A. in journalism, and received his M.A. in journalism from the University of North Texas, Denton. He is a member of the Public Relations Society of America, CASE, RCC (national president,2006–2008), BCA (national president, 1995) and the communications commission of the Baptist World Alliance. In 2008 and 2009, he served as president of the Homewood (Ala.) Chamber of Commerce and was on the chamber’s board of directors for five years.
Philip's wife, Shellyn, is minister to families for The Church at Shelby Crossings in suburban Calera, Ala., and he supports her ministry by helping with Sunday morning snacks and crafts for older preschoolers on a regular basis. The Pooles also are proud Samford parents. Daughter Melissa graduated in 2007, and daughter Caroline graduated in 2009. They added a son-in-law to the family in 2011. Philip enjoys telling people about the family's journey to Samford.
- Member of:
- Award of Excellence, National Magazines, Religion Communications Council (RCC), 2011, 2012
- 1st Place, Video magazine, Baptist Communicators Association (BCA), 2011
- Best of Class, Public Relations Materials, RCC, 2009
- Arthur S. Davenport Award for exceptional achievement in public relations, BCA, 2007
- Forbes-McKay Marketing Firm of the Year award (shared with Fitzmartin, Inc.), American Marketing Association, 2004
- Administrator of the Year, Southwest Baptist University, 1997
- Have received numerous other national and regional awards from CASE, RCC and BCA since 1978
- Chapter Contributor, How Shall They Hear? (A Handbook for Religious Communicators), Religion Communications Council, Inc., New York, New York, 1995 and 1999 editions.
- Chapter Contributor, Check Your Image: A Church Public Relations Handbook, Convention Press, Nashville, Tennessee, 1989.
- Article Contributor, Church Growth Magazine, Sunday School Board, Nashville, Tennessee, 1995.
- Crisis Communication plenary speaker, Church Media Institute, Samford University, 2012