Licensing Policy and Approval Guidelines
For Internal Use, Campus Departments, Student Groups, and Other Entities:
Use of Samford University's name or other Samford trademarks with an organization name implies association with the university. Therefore, only official campus departments and organizations are allowed to use Samford University trademarks in conjunction with their name.
Some of Samford's federally-registered trademarks include the words or word phrases SAMFORD, SAMFORD UNIVERSITY, SAMFORD BULLDOGS, the INTERLOCKING SU logo, BULLDOG logo and others. To ensure brand consistency in the use of the university's name and logos, all products, signage, or packaging bearing reference to Samford University must be approved by the Office of University Marketing and Communication and comply with Samford University's licensing policies. Such products must be produced by manufacturers licensed through the university's licensing agent, the Licensing Resource Group (LRG). Only officially-licensed manufacturers have been pre-approved by the university, are required to meet labor code standards and carry appropriate product liability insurance naming Samford as an additional insure
Procedures for Obtaining Art & Product Approvals:
- The university has more than 80 licensed manufacturers nationwide with numerous in‑state and locally licensed companies. For a complete list of officially licensed manufactures please visit the licensing web page, http://www.samford.edu/communication/identity.aspx?id=45097163272, or contact the Office of University Marketing and Communication for assistance.
- If a department or student group cannot find a manufacturer offering the desired product, please contact the Office of University Marketing and Communication for assistance.
- Take desired artwork to a licensed manufacturer or ask the licensee to assist with design.
- All artwork must be submitted by the licensed vendor to the university for approval before production. For Samford's procurement and accounting offices to pay department invoices, departments and student groups must submit a copy of licensing approval along with the invoice.
Complete the licensing approval form
- If there are questions concerning the design, contact the Office of University Marketing and Communication for assistance.
- Royalties are not charged on campus purchases of Samford products that meet the criteria listed below;however, the requirement to use officially licensed manufacturers is necessary to effectively manage the university's valuable marks and brand
Royalty Exempt Purchases Include:
- Any Samford merchandise purchased by campus departments with university funds to be used for internal consumption, and not resold. The product must bear the department name and/or reference to the campus event for which it is being purchased.
- Samford items purchased by University Student Government Association-recognized student organizations to be used for internal consumption, and not resold. Only University SGA-recognized organizations are allowed to use Samford's name and other marks. Organization name must be on the product.
Royalty Bearing Purchases Include:
- Any Samford product that will be used for fund raising purposes, resold on campus or to the general public.
- Any generic Samford product that does not include campus department, campus event or student organization name.
- Samford merchandise that promotes a specific event for which a fee is charged (i.e. camps, athletic events, etc.)
- The name, mark,or logo of a third party is used with the university's trademark.
Licensing policies cover all Samford-related merchandise with the exception of projects covered under the university's branding and style guidelines.Samford-related brochures, pamphlets, stationery, note cards,electronic communication, banners, and other signage fall under the university's communication policy and require only the approval of that office. However, if any of these printed materials will be made available for sale, such as calendars and cookbooks, this merchandise should comply with Samford's licensing policies, and the printer of these pieces will have to be licensed through the university's licensing agent. The licensing process for these types of campus projects is easy. Contact Samford's Office of Marketing and Communication for more information
Policies Concerning the Approval of Samford University Related Artwork:
- To protect Samford University's trademarks and promote a consistent visual brand identity, Samford logos, symbols and marks may vary in size, but cannot otherwise be altered, tampered with, modified,incorporated into other marks, or overprinted with other words or design elements.
- The Samford University seal is allowed only on official university documents related to graduation or the office of the president or the board of trustees.
- Campus departments and student groups purchasing Samford products for an event must incorporate the organization or department name in the design or on the product.
- Use of student and employee faces or other university images on products must be approved in advance by the Office of Marketing and Communication to ensure compliance with privacy and copyright guidelines.
- Use of a current student‑athlete's name on commercial merchandise is a violation of NCAA rules and may result in the student‑athlete being declared ineligible. Any use of a student‑athlete's name, nickname, or picture must be approved by the Samford Athletics Compliance Office.
- Use of intellectual property owned by a third party must be approved by that entity in writing and submitted to the licensing office along with the desired artwork. For example, if a department wishes to use photos, artwork, slogans, or trademarks created by a third party, a written release allowing for such use is required before the university will grant design approval. This type of approval process may take some effort, so allow enough lead time for such approval to be obtained.
- Campus departments may include a sponsor name/logo along with university trademarks on products and certain forms of advertising. However, the department's name must be included in the design to communicate that the relationship is a partnership with a particular department and not an endorsement by the University as a whole. Based on the scope of the program, a rights fee and/or royalties may be assessed to the sponsor to associate its name with Samford University. University departments will need to secure approval of any joint advertisement from the Office of University Marketing and Communication.
Policies and Guidelines For External/Non‑Samford Use
(Includes booster clubs, alumni groups, retail,individual and commercial use)
- Use of Samford University's name and trademarks by organizations that are not official university departments or recognized student organizations will be reviewed on a case‑by‑case basis. Below are the basic guidelines that will be followed:
- Any group, organization,and/or entity that wish to use university trademarks on a product,regardless of use, must purchase the product from a university licensed vendor. By supporting the university's licensing initiatives, organizations will help to ensure that products bearing Samford marks are of quality and meet all insurance and contractual requirements to protect Samford. The vendor is responsible for design approval and remitting royalties. For a complete listing of licensed vendors, visit the licensing website at http://www.samford.edu/communication/identity.aspx?id=45097163272.
- If a booster club or alumni group wishes to utilize one of Samford University's trademarks in their logo, written permission must be obtained from the Samford athletics office. The verbiage "supporting Samford University"or "supporting XXXX at Samford University" must be included on all letterhead, publications, etc. All materials using the university logo must be submitted for approval before production.
- Booster clubs may use sponsor names on merchandise only with written approval from the Samford University athletics licensing office. The organization's name must be included in the design to communicate that the relationship is a partnership with the organization and not the university. Based on the scope of the program, a rights fee and higher royalty rate may be assessed.
- Businesses may use university trademarks in non‑permanent fixtures (i.e. window painting, removable lettering on marquees, etc.) supporting specific university events.
- Businesses may not establish a permanent statue or icon, paint a mural on the front or inside of a place of business that includes the university trademarks or images without written permission from Samford University.
- Businesses or organizations may not use the trademarks or any intellectual property of the university in any type of advertisement, on websites, in domain names, or on banners or materials without written permission from Samford University.
- Businesses may not produce merchandise for resale or give‑away that utilizes the university's trademarks and its name and/or logo without written permission from Samford University.
- Businesses may not use university trademarks or intellectual property to promote their products or services in print advertising, radio or television without a promotional contract in place or written permission from Samford University.
- Individuals or businesses may not use university trademarks or intellectual property on a website without written permission from Samford University. If approved, the university will provide a disclaimer that must be used on the site.
- Individuals or organizations may not utilize the university's trademarks or intellectual property in conjunction with a candidate for political office or policy/legislative issue.
- The university does not allow its trademarks to be used in conjunction with not‑for‑profit organizations unless the association is tied to a specific campus department or event or has been approved through the Office of Marketing and Communication.
- Samford University reserves the right to charge rights fees and/or royalties for the use of the university trademarks in all instances unless otherwise negotiated in advance by the university.
- Businesses or organizations may not shoot film or photography on Samford University's campus for promotional purposes or for profit use without a permit from the Office of Marketing and Communication.