Samford University


Office of Admission

Streamline your experience.

Frequently Asked Questions - Prospective

How do I apply for scholarships?
The Application postmark deadline for merit-based scholarship consideration is December 15. There are primarily two types of merit based scholarships that students may qualify for:

Academic Scholarships: Academic Scholarships are awarded to students who have displayed great achievement as displayed through GPA, rigor of curriculum, and standardized test score.
Leadership Scholarships: Leadership based scholarships (including the Presidential) are the most prestigious and competitive type of scholarship at Samford. Students must submit their application for admission AND their Leadership Resume in order to be considered for any leadership-based scholarships.
How many students receive financial aid?
96% of enrolled Freshman (Fall 2011) have received gift aid to attend Samford. 
What are the largest majors at Samford?
Business, Journalism, Nursing, and Education. Click here to see a full list of majors.
What opportunities are there to study abroad?
Samford has a Study Centre in London. Samford students can also be found studying in Morocco, France, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Costa Rica, Hong Kong and more. If there's a place you want to go, we can probably set up something for you. (SeeStudy Abroad)
How is the semester system set up?
 The fall semester at Samford runs from the last week in August to mid-December. In January, there is an optional term. Then, the spring semester begins the last week in January and runs until mid to late May. There are also two summer terms each year.
Do you accept dual-enrollment or AP credits?

Incoming freshman can transfer in up to 12 hours of dual enrollment credit hours.  Dual Enrollment is defined as classes taken by a student to satisfy high school graduation requirements with which they also received college credit for.  In order for credit to be considered for transfer, the student must request an official transcript, with the final grades reported, from the college where they have received credit.  The course(s) have to have been obtained with a B- or better.  The transcripts must be sent to the Office of Admission.

  If a college course is taken during the students time in high school that is not needed to satisfy high school graduation requirements, this credit may be considered for transfer credit beyond the initial 12 hours.  The maximum aggregate total for credit an entering freshman may bring to Samford, through AP, dual enrollment, CLEP, IB, etc., is 30 hours.  In addition, the only core curriculum class that an entering freshman may transfer in, or place out of, is UCCA 101. For more information concerning Dual Enrollment please refer to page 20 and 21 in our University Catalog located at

  If more than 12 hours of college credit have been attained while in high school, it is the student’s responsibility to have their guidance counselor write a letter stating which courses, if any, were not required for high school graduation.  That letter may be faxe (205-726-2171) or mailed to the Office of Admission at Samford University.  It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that the official transcript(s) are mailed to the Office of Admission upon posting of the final semester’s grades.  This will ensure that all credit can be evaluated before orientation and the student will be registered for the appropriate courses.

What classifies a student as full-time?
 A student who takes at least 12 semester hours (18 maximum) is considered full time. A normal class load for an undergraduate day student during fall and spring semesters is 16 undergraduate credits.
What accreditations does Samford have?
 Samford University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In addition, several of the professional schools on our campus have additional accreditations. See list of professional accreditations in catalog.
Is Samford a Regional University?
No. Approximately 65% of the students at Samford are from out of state, with 40 states and 17 countries represented. In addition, Birmingham is a city of almost a million people with many opportunities from hiking to shopping within a close distance to Samford. See more....
Do you have to be Greek to get involved?
No. Approximately 38% of our students are involved in a Greek organization, a very active group on campus. However, there are many other opportunities to get involved on campus. See more...
Do you have Division I athletics?
Yes, Samford competes in the Southern Conference in 17 different Division-I sports with brand new athletic facilities for Basketball, Football, Tennis, and volleyball.  Click here for a comprehensive list of all Samford Bulldog athletics.
Can I live on campus?
To maximize the University experience, all unmarried undergraduates 20 years of age and under are required to reside in University housing, unless they live at home with a parent or guardian.  (See Residence Life)
What can I bring for my dorm room?
See Residence Life
May I have a car on campus?
Yes. All cars must be registered with the Department of Public Safety. Parking decals are distributed according to the area of campus where the student lives and additional sections are reserved for commuter students.
Do I need to bring a computer?
Bringing your own computer is not required but is recommended. Samford University provides six general access computer labs for the academic computing needs of the student body. Over 190 computers on campus offer word processing, email, access to the internet and many applications specific to various academic programs. All Samford residential facilities provide a high-speed Ethernet network connection for each resident's use. See Technology Services for more information.
Are part-time jobs available on campus?
There are many part-time jobs available on campus. These opportunities are available to all students regardless of financial need. Available on campus jobs are listed at . In addition, our Career Development Center keeps a list regularly of off-campus part-time job.
What is Convocation?
The purpose of Convocation is to nurture students in faith, learning, and values from a distinctly Christian perspective. Students are provided opportunities to grow toward spiritual maturity through speakers, music, worship, lectures and dialogue. Each student is required to complete 60 convocation credits before graduation. See more...
What is Samford's denominational affiliation?
Samford is affiliated with the Alabama Baptist Convention.
What does it mean to be a Christian university?
Samford is a Christian community that nurtures faith, allowing students to strengthen their convictions and claim their beliefs. Many students participate in worship services, Christian lectures, Bible study groups, mission opportunities and outreach teams on campus. However, it is much more than these things. The Christian emphasis is a current that runs through each and every aspect of Samford.
What ministries are there to participate in?
University Ministries, RUF, Campus Outreach, UCF, FCA, Young Life. Samford students are also involved in a number of area churches.
What is the cost to attend Samford?
The total cost of tuition, room and board, and fees at Samford is approximately $34,990. Samford is not like many other institutions which are fee-intensive. Use our cost calculator to determine how Samford could be the right financial fit for you!
Where can I eat on campus?
Samford University's Dining Services include both a cafeteria and a food court. Meal plans are available in 3 varieties. After purchasing a plan, students simply take their Samford card into the cafeteria or food court to receive the meals purchased. Both the cafeteria and the food court offer a variety of food options for many different tastes and diets.
Is Samford University a safe campus?
The Samford campus is very safe, with a gated entrance/exit and public safety officers on duty 24/7. For more details on the safety of the campus and a summary of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act click here.   
close x